Devchand College, aspires to be benchmarked as a rural abode of shared learning, action and responsibilities in terms of providing access, equity, inclusiveness and social justice in higher education. Various innovations are introduced during the last four years which have created a positive impact on the functioning of the college.
- Academic audit (Mock NAAC): Immediately after the second cycle of NAAC the authorities of the college realized that there should be continuous inspection and enhancement of quality of education in our institution. It was resolved that IQAC and management shall conduct academic audit annually though a Mock NAAC team and closely monitor the academic excellence and working of the college as per the guidelines of NAAC by:
(1) Designing, revision and circulation of uniform format for departmental and individual presentations reporting their performance;
(2) Formulating and displaying scheme of marking for assessment of performance;
(3) Organization of annual departmental and individual presentations and their assessment by a mock NAAC team of management and external experts;
(4) Interaction of Mock NAAC team with departmental heads and conveners of cells for improvement in performance;
(5) Consolidation of evaluation and feedback by the team done by IQAC;
(6) Display and distribution of ranking of the departments;
(7) Setting task-list and yearly targets in view of the performance evaluation;
(8)Follow up and verification of achieved targets in consecutive presentations and collection of corrected presentations in IQAC for record and further reference;
(9) Sending AQAR report timely.
Positive impact: All the departments and individuals made sincere efforts to accomplish the task lists and targets assigned by the Mock NAAC team. Each individual and department realized the scope for improvement and areas of opportunities in comparison with their peers in the institution. A healthy competition was created and the work culture gradually evolved in the college over a period of five years. Thus, quality enhancement in all aspects was ensured.
- Value Education: Modern society is experiencing value crisis especially in the modern youths. With the invasion of western culture and life style alongside globalization, a threat is posed to our age old rich traditions and value system. Hence value education should form an integral part of modern education. In arts faculty some of the subjects have potential to impart value education to our students but there is no such facility for science and Commerce faculty. Teachers are pre-occupied with the completion of their own curricula within a limited time span available between the two semesters. In such a scenario how to impart value education to the students was a big question. During our brainstorming sessions a decision to impart value education was taken. We adopted a system where teachers would engage the periods of other colleagues on leave and impart value education to the students. A special workshop named ‘Yuwa Sanskar Shibir’ is organized to inculcate values amongst the youth every year on 27 December. This enlightens the students on values like scientific temper, women security, communal harmony, our duties towards society and nation, save girl child and such other moral, ethical, social, political, cultural issues.
Positive impact: Majority of the absent periods were engaged by faculty imparting value education. The students benefited by such value education sessions.
- Library Automation: Considering the observations of previous NAAC Committee, the college library is fully computerized. The automation software is being used in the library. Clerical staff working in the library was trained in computation skills. Bar-code system was installed. Internet broadband facility was made available for teachers and students free of cost. Special efforts were taken for increase in the special collection books/literature, establishment of NET-SET books section and addition of new reference books. The reprographic unit used to provide printouts to students, faculty and researchers. Reading room for study at night was also provided in the library.
Positive impact: Teachers and students expressed their satisfaction over the improvement in the library facility.
- Automation of Administrative System: The College has computerized administrative system. The special software dedicated to office work has been installed. The users have been trained for the effective use of the same. The software is frequently updated as per the requirement. Every office assistant practices the same on a desktop computer on his table provided with internet facilities.
Positive impact: The time span for seeking admission or for filling examination forms was minimized by ensuring easy and quick response to office work.
- Academic Innovations: The role of a teacher and the accountability has been a major area of concern for quality assurance. UGC has prescribed the performance based appraisal system for the assessment of the teachers, whereas the University has suggested the academic diary. Both these practices have been implemented effectively at our college. Our faculty submitted suggestions for improvement in the format for the academic diary as well as API and are accepted and implemented by the University. The mechanism for proper monitoring has been evolved by our IQAC which is accepted by administrative authorities.
Positive impact: It resulted in motivation of teachers, monitoring the accountability and proper record keeping by the teachers.
- Rotating discipline committees: Earlier a discipline committee was appointed to maintain discipline in the college campus at the beginning of each academic year. The task assigned to the members of committee was to take round in the corridor and ensure that movement of students should be minimal, so that perfect silence is maintained outside the classes in order to facilitate effective teaching and learning in the class. Later on it was decided to constitute rotating discipline committees to maintain discipline inside the building and on the campus.
Positive Impact: Facilitated the effective teaching learning process throughout the year.
- Other Innovations: Some of the other innovative practices introduced in the college are enlisted below:
- CC TV cameras are installed in library, office, college gates, laboratories and staff room etc.
- An experienced administrative expert has been hired for systematization and supervision of administrative work.
All these innovative practices enhanced effectiveness of the functioning of the college.
Some of the innovative practices are presented in the form of papers in national and state level conferences by IQAC.