Considering the background of majority of students who belong to rural, socially and economically backward classes, the institution strives to make focused efforts for their upliftment and progress. With this view, three areas of institutional distinctiveness have been identified:
- New UG and PG courses for more academic flexibility
- Expansion of scholarship provisions to maximum number of students
- Organization of sports events
- The institution offers 19 UG and 10 PG courses and 09 research courses of M.Phil. and Ph.D. with an excellent infrastructure and highly qualified teachers in a conducive educational environment for the students coming from economically weaker sections in the border area of Karnataka and Maharashtra. Thus, it provides adequate vertical and horizontal mobility for the students to acquire quality higher education in their subject of interest.
- The institution offers students many Government scholarships. Shri Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj Educational Scholarship. From the year 2018-19 onwards, the college has taken up as a special drive to make students avail the scholarship benefits. In all, 1021 students benefited by the same. The college was awarded ‘Letter of Appreciation’ from the Joint Director of Higher Education, Kolhapur Division. It enabled EBC students from rural area to take higher education up to PG level almost free of cost.
- Devchand College has an excellent track record of producing sports persons of national and international reputation in various events like weightlifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding and volleyball. Several students fetched Gold, Silver and Bronze medals in international competitions during the past several years. As a result, sportspersons choose the college as a nurturing ground for their talents. The institution provides scholarships also to sportspersons.
During 2018-19, efforts have been made to introduce students to different sports. Collectively, 104 sportspersons participated in 11 types of sports at Zonal and Inter zonal level and won 01 Gold/First Rank, 03 Silver/Second rank and 01 Bronze/Third rank and bagged 06 Gold/ first Rank, 02 Silver/Second rank. Progressively, 07 students participated at national level games (04 students in volleyball and 03 in weightlifting). More efforts will be made to improvise the performance of the sportspersons and will attract more students to the college.