Library is the soul of every HEI. In this digital era, the role of libraries has become multidimensional. In addition to books and other materials, various types of e-resources, digital methods and procedures are available for effective transfer of information. With this scenario in view, the Suvarn Library of Devchand College has improved its services and products to contribute towards knowledge culture. The library is well-known in the locality for its rich collection of resources.
Tamaso Ma Jyotirgamaya (Transition from darkness to light)
The primary mission of the Suvarn Library is to promote teaching, learning and research and disseminate knowledge by providing access to information resources.
- Books- Textbooks and Reference books
- Rare books collection
- Bound volumes
- Newspaper clippings
- Previous years’ question papers
The college has a collection of e-resources developed/collected by the faculty for the benefit of students.
- Academic Videos
- e-Question Banks
Remote Access to e-Resources
- The college has joined INFLIBNET Access Management Federation (INFED). It provides remote access to subscribed e-resources for the users. Faculty and students are given access to INFLIBNET (N-List) resources which are a treasure trove of knowledge. The resources contain databases, e-books and e-journals from all over the world.
- SUCLA Online Union Catalogue
An MoU is signed with Shivaji University College Librarian Association (SUCLA) under which online Library OPAC is accessible 24×7 by users. It is a resource sharing initiative by the university. Users can remotely access database of the university and affiliated colleges. Users from the university and other colleges are able to access the Suvarn Library resources. They can easily search and locate the required book in any member libraries.
Access to Books
- Digital issuing through REX IT software
Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
Barcode system and scanner
- Open access in the library
- Book Bank library
- Membership to alumni and former teachers
- Membership to teachers of sister institutions
- Two Reading Halls are open from 7.45 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. (During examinations from 7.45 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.)
- Book facility in Reading Halls
- New Arrivals
- NVDA software for visually impaired users
- Reading facility for competitive examinations
Infrastructure and Maintenance Facilities
- Reprographic machine
- Water purifier and cooler
- UPS back up
- Fire extinguishers
- Vacuum cleaners
- CCTV surveillance
- Book exhibitions
- Day celebrations
- Orientation/training for accession of e-resources/remote access materials
- Orientation of freshers about library services and facilities
- National seminars/conferences for promotion of reading culture
Book Purchase Policy
In the decision making process for various services, suggestions and recommendations made by students, teachers, HoDs and Library Committee are taken into consideration by the Principal.
Book Purchase Procedure
- Book requisition form is filled in, and with the Principal and HoD signatures , the same is submitted to the Suvarn Library.
- Library clerk verifies the filled-in requisition forms and the same is sent to vendors for procurement with Principal and librarian signatures.
- When books are received from vendors, the clerk concerned verifies the copies with the orders.
- The attendant does physical verification of books.
- The librarian assigns accession number to every book and the same are entered in the accession register.
- Call number is assigned for books for classification.
- Attendants put library stamp on secret pages.
- The assistant librarian pastes barcode on the books.
- The clerk completes the payment procedure.
- After billing, books are displayed in New Arrival section.
- Books are issued to the readers.
- Defective copies are sent back to the vendors for replacement.
Book Issue Procedure
- After admission, students are issued a borrower card for accessing books.
- Students (UG students two books and PG students three books) can borrow books at any time and on any working day.
- Students can use books for seven days.
- Barcode scanner registers visitors’ statistics.
- Students use OPAC for searching books by author name/ title/accession number/call number.
- Students use internet with the permission of the librarian/assistant librarian/other library staff.
- The library staff helps students to locate books, if the students need.
- Students use reprography facility only for rare collection reading material.
- Rare collection books are not permitted for out of library use.
- Reference & General Section books are also not allowed outside the library.
Code of Conduct
- Every one must carry ID card while entering the library.
- Users are prohibited to bring their belongings inside the library.
- Students should scan Identity card or Borrower card at entry point.
- Handle books, periodicals, newspapers carefully. If anyone is found damaging reading materials or lost, he/she will have to replace the same or pay the fine as per rules made by Library Committee.
- Members are requested to make use of digital library/e-resources.
- Do not install any program or service on any computer.
- Use of edibles and mobile phones in the library is strictly prohibited.
- If any device of computer is not working, kindly report it to the library staff.
- Behave politely with all.
- Ask for help from the library staff, if necessary.
- Alumni can use the library with the prior permission of the Principal.
.● Maintain silence.
- Put your suggestions and complaints in the suggestion box.
‘Come and spend time with books’.
Library: At a Glance
|1||Establishment of Library||1961|
|2||Built up Area of Library||2790 Sq. ft.|
|3||Built up Area Reading Hall||1113 Sq. ft.|
|4||Total Number of books.||51081|
|5||Number of Computers||9|
|7||Subscribed to “INFLIBNET” for||e- books : 31,35,000|
|e- Journals : 6,000|
|9||Number of Daily News Paper||Total 12, (English- 1, & Marathi-11)|
|10||Numbers of CDs||127|
|11||Number of Members of Library||1149|
|12||Method of Classification||Colon classification|